Password:  Change  |  Forgot  |  Help   

Email   Print

Compensation  >>   Mileage Reimbursement Policy Search Discussion Posts
Discussions Help
Sort By: Oldest posts first Most recent posts first
Private33500

Mileage Reimbursement Policy  
Posted: 06/29/2010 12:53pm   81 Views

I am curious as to how your companies reimburse employees for mileage if the employee reports to a site that is not their own worksite.

Scenario
An employee leaves from home to get to location B (not regular work site) that is 20 miles from their home but 10 miles from work location, do you reimburse for the entire 20 miles or the difference which is 10 miles from A to B?

Private10790

Posted: 06/29/2010 01:09pm  
   (1 rating)

Yes, we reimburse the expense and time for that employer-required travel to a different worksite, also as covered and addressed in the Portal to Portal Pay Act:  http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/title_29/Part_790/29CFR790.5.htm

Private33500

Posted: 06/29/2010 01:33pm  

Thanks, James.  The Portal to Portal Pay act only addresses compensable hours.  If you have any other references or surveys, I would love to take a look. 

Private10905

Posted: 06/29/2010 08:34pm  

With most of my clients, the most common practice is to reimburse the difference which is 10 miles from A to B.

This is a common example of a policy:

Mileage reimbursement is meant to cover only those miles incurred above and beyond the employee’s normal commute to his/her place of business. For example, if the normal commuting round trip is 20 miles, and the employee goes on a trip that covers 75 miles, only the incremental 55 miles are reimbursable.

Private14572

Posted: 06/30/2010 05:51am  

Marjorie -

In your scenario, we would reimburse none because those are miles traveled to work.  When we incur these situations, we pay as follows:

• Employee travels to location B (not home location) for the entire day, and travels home.  No miles reimbursed.
  • Employee travels to location A (home location) for part of day, then to location B, then home.  Miles (one way) from location A to location B reimbursed.
  • Employee travels to location A (home location) for part of day, then to location B, then back to location A before returning home.  Round trip miles from location A to B reimbursed. 

Now, the above scenarios would only apply if you happen to have two separate campuses/locations that people may work from.  If, for example, an employee were to travel to another city for a meeting or conference, etc, we would reimburse the full round trip mileage. 

I hope that helps.  

Private33500

Posted: 07/07/2010 12:54pm  

Thank you all for sharing!

Top Contributors
Compensation

CONNECT WITH US 

Copyright  |  Privacy Policy  |  Site Map  |  Advertise with Us  |  Community Terms and Conditions

WorldatWork